Sunday, July 29, 2007

For gamers only...2

The new Mario Kart is scheduled to come out next Spring. Be ready to see me doing alot of this. There is good news and bad news that comes with this game. Most of it has to do with the internet.

The next Mario Kart will have worldwide online playing capapbilities, courtesy of the Wii. If implemented like the worldwide system in place for Mario Kart DS, this means no irritating chat boxes, just opponents recommended to you based on your skill level, and the choice of picking out anyone you want to play against that you know who happen to be online at the same time, or ever random strangers, I would assume. This is good news, in that it will allow me to have some serious competition, and hone my *strongbad voice* "skills of a kartist." The bad news is probably bad news for my friends, because it's already annoying enough to play against me since I tend to shoot down anyone who tries to drive away with the dreaded green shells (see diagram 1). With the option of playing against the best in the world, I'll have a chance to have more lively targets--nay! Be hunted as an inferior driver in a way I haven't for ages. And this is good news because I need to be humbled at Mario Kart. I'm aware that I have quite the inflated ego over it. So I'm happy and sad for the future end of my reign as the best Kart-sniper in my known world of about 15 years of playing the series of Kart video games by Nintendo.

The other good news is we can all play against the folks I know with Wiis all over the place. Nathan in Western WA, Sean in AK, Nate in Arkansas, etc. Not sure how many karts at once will be possible. Probably 8 at a time, on two system, or a mix of any number from different places, or a mix with a number of computer players. This could be bad news, however, if they force you to always play with 8 humans in a race, that could take away from the fun quite a bit, I am sure. The other possibility is that they will allow up to 8 players on a single console. We already know this is possible from the Bust-A-Move game developed for the Wii, that allows 4 Wiimotes and 4 regular controllers at once. putting 8 screens on a TV at once however....is difficult. No word to implementation of this as of yet, if it is even possible.
















Diagram 1: Another superior driver's dreams
smashed by yet another tactical green shell
snipe, courtesy of Bowser.

(picture liberated from TheOnion.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home