Tuesday, February 13, 2007

UNESCO

So, I forgot to mention UNESCO (one of the groups I have been working with on the weekends and odd-days to help bring understanding of the poor living situations in any number of places around the world) My part is...well, they want me there as a representative with "alot of education" (few people have even started an MA program here, let alone finished one) and part because I am an English teacher, and we try to teach that English is a good international language to these kids at a young age (even though the system for some reason doesn't support learning of English until they are around 12, and then, poorly). I guess a third but sadly neglected part of their use for me is as a cultural entity, the "C" in UNESCO. But, it's the Japanese. Culture isn't seen as being as important of a factor...helping others and spreading awareness of physical and economic troubles is, however. So it is definitely a good cause. I got a video interview recently on one of those, but...I can't find it online. I DID find an interesting thing about "homecountry"--USA (pronounced "OO-Suh")--and...well...my Grandfather's "homecountry"--Sweden(pronounced "swee-den"). The educational statistics online from the UNESCO analysis points out that only 10% of spending in Sweden is towards education, while around 95% of all people of eligible age from pre-school all the way though teritiary (college) school are currently enrolled in school. Territiary has the lowest score at 80%. That's still really high. Oh, and they have a 10-1 student-teacher ratio.

The US has meager scores by comparison...at every. age. We average out more like 80%. Weakest in preschool and college by percentage enrollment. Also, we spent (in 2004) roughly 17.4 percent of all our spending on Education. Our 15-1 student teacher ration average doesn't seem so good there, suddenly. Also, I think that that one must be somewhat mislead by preschools in the US, since we certainly don't achieve 15 in a class in most schools that I have heard of. 20 is much more common. And 30 isn't uncommon either. In any case, that was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

So yes. I forgot to mention it, but being that I work for UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Outreach), yes, I am technically a part time UN employee. I appologize for leaving out this little tidbit of information from you all, I just realized tonight in reflection that I had never once mentioned my employ "at the UN."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home